Robbinsville Township Purchases Circa-1909 Windsor School For Recreation
ROBBINSVILLE, NJ - (April 5, 2017) - Township Council on February 15 adopted ordinances appropriating $225,000 to acquire the real property located at 16 School Drive in Windsor (Block 13, Lot 24), also known as the Windsor School from the Robbinsville School District.
Built in 1909, the Windsor School sits on less than an acre of land in historic Windsor and has been vacant since 2014 when all classes shifted to the since-expanded Sharon School. The Township plans to use the building and surrounding fields for recreation beginning some time in the summer of 2017.
"We started talking about it last year when it became clear that only people interested in the property were developers," Mayor Dave Fried told njadvancemedia.com. "We thought it might be better for the township to preserve the property and use the building for recreation and a meeting space for residents."
The building also will give the township a place to store and display historical local artifacts.
Funding for the purchase came via Council Ordinance 2017-3 and Ordinance 2017-4 re-appropriating $250,000 in bond money that had been set aside for the new municipal building located at 2298 Route 33, which opened in October of 2016.