PSE&G and Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L) urge its customers to always be cautious if they see downed lines. Downed wires should always be considered “live.” Do not approach or drive over a downed line and do not touch anything that it might be in contact with.
Customers should report downed wires or power outages by calling PSE&G’s Customer Service line at 1-800-436-PSEG. Customers can also report power outages and view the status of their outage by logging in to My Account on www.pseg.com, PSE&G’s mobile-friendly website.
Other storm preparation tips:
- Charge your cell phones, tablets and other mobile devices. Consider investing in a external cell phone charger
- Fill your car’s fuel tank
- Ensure you have a battery-powered radio and a supply of fresh batteries
- Check your supply of flashlights, blankets, nonperishable food and bottled water
- Put your refrigerator and freezer at the coldest setting. Keep a blanket handy to throw over these appliances for added insulation. If electricity is interrupted, keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible
- Compile a list of emergency phone numbers, including PSE&G’s Customer Service line: 1-800-436-PSEG. Call this number to report power outages or downed wires.
- Customers can report outages by texting “OUT” to 4PSEG (47734).
- Updated every 15 minutes, PSE&G’s online “Outage Map” displays the location and status of power outages in PSE&G’s service territory.