LOUIS BAY 2nd SCHOLARSHIP COMPETITION DEADLINE IS MARCH 11
ROBBINSVILLE, NJ - Once again, the League of Municipalities is proud to announce the Louis Bay 2nd Future Municipal Leaders Scholarship Competition for high school juniors and seniors planning to continue their education after high school.
The purpose of this scholarship, now in its 25th year, is to advance the virtues of elected and volunteer positions in municipal government while raising awareness of municipal government in general. This scholarship competition has been named in honor of Louis Bay 2nd, Mayor Emeritus of Hawthorne and an active participant as a League Board Member and Past President for 60 years.
Robbinsville Township has teamed up with the NJSLM to offer three $1,000 scholarships through the Louis Bay 2nd Future Municipal Leaders Scholarship Competition. This statewide scholarship competition centers on the theme “What My Municipal Government Does Best” and seeks to advance the virtues of elected and volunteer members of the municipal government.
The deadline is March 11, 2019. CLICK HERE FOR APPLICATION.
Many of the elected officials and appointed board members serve (your municipality) with little or no compensation. It is their altruistic desire to serve their community which compels them to public service. These officials, along with a cadre of dedicated professionals, are guardians of our hometown comforts and security. They give of their time and talents to help plan our community and preserve our way of life. They serve us year-round, every day, and yet are hardly noticed. This scholarship competition will help rectify that while encouraging our future municipal leaders.
The competition is open to all high school juniors and seniors who are residents of New Jersey and plan to continue their education after high school.
1. Complete the application and essay.
2. Return those materials to: The office of Mayor Dave Fried at 2298 Route 33, Robbinsville, NJ 08691.
Please write "Louis Bay 2nd Competition" on the front of the envelope.
**Regional or private high school students: Please note that the application and essay must be returned to your hometown mayor, not the mayor of the municipality where your high school is located, unless that is your hometown.**
3. The Mayor or his designated committee will select one semifinalist from your municipality.
4. All entrants will receive a certificate of participation from the Mayor’s office.
5. The winner from each municipality will be designated as a state semifinalist. Semifinalists will have their essays and applications reviewed by the Scholarship Committee of the New Jersey State League of Municipalities.
6. All state semifinalists will receive a certificate attesting to their status as state semifinalists.
7. The Scholarship Committee will select 15 finalists and 3 winners.
8. The 15 finalists will each be awarded finalist certificates. The three winners will each be awarded $1,000 by their mayor at a hometown ceremony.
9. Winners’ essays will be featured in the New Jersey Municipalities magazine.